35 quotes to inspire the creative
"Inspiration is the most important part of our digital strategy." - Paull Young.
Last month, I turned 35 (which for some reason has been an age I have been wanting to mark in a big way). So I thought why not do a series called '35 Things ...' connected to marketing themes. In essence, I will gather essential and motivational facts and tips about different topics in marketing to share with you.
As we head for the summer in the northern hemisphere and winter in the southern, some of us are still social distancing or working remotely. We all have some kind of new normal that we have or are adapting to. It can feel like a lot sometimes, so in an attempt to brighten our days a bit and offer some bits of learning, So, for my first "35 Things..." post, I have decided to gather some quotes I hope will awaken whatever will serve you best during this time, whether it is to help you relax, feel reinvigorated, get moving, create, dream, measure things, etc. I hope you enjoy it and please feel free to share any of your favourite quotes in the comments below.
A little inspiration can take you far. It can set the tone for your day or week and even help you manifest where you want your life or career to go. In addition, it can motivate you to achieve your goals, both big and small. That is why I wanted to start this post by focusing on some inspirational quotes.
1. Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it. - Dr Maya Angelou
2. Know from whence you came. If you know whence you came, there are absolutely no limitations to where you can go. - James Baldwin
3. I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, and changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something. - Neil Gaiman
4. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. - Neale Donald Walsch
5. Never stop learning because life never stops teaching! - Unknown
In addition to having optimized website content, it is also essential to consistently post new content through blogging. Blogging is an excellent tool for boosting rankings on search engines and building your brand as an industry thought leader. It is also a great way to drive traffic and connect with people. According to Demand Metric, 80% of internet users interact with social media sites and blogs, and companies with blogs produce an average of 67% more leads monthly than companies that don't blog. For more stats about blogging, read the HubSpot article, 31 Business Blogging Stats You Need to Know in 2020. Now, for some quotes!
6. A blog is neither a diary nor a journal. Many people think of blogging in relation to those two things, confessional or practical. It is neither but includes elements of both. - Lemn Seesay
7. Don't focus on having a great blog. Focus on producing a blog that's great for your readers. - Brian Clark
8. Blogging is good for your career. A well-executed blog sets you apart as an expert in your field. - Penelope Trunk
9. On average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar! - David Ogilvy
10. Blogging and the Internet allow us to engage in a lot more real-time conversations as opposed to a one-way dump of information or a message. - Indra Nooyi
According to Brandmag, "Branding, by definition, is a marketing practice in which a company creates a name, symbol, or design that is easily identifiable as belonging to the company. This helps to identify a product and distinguish it from other products and services." I would add that typically, your brand, whether you are an individual, a huge corporation, or a smaller business, is how people identify you. It consists of the physical things that people can see and hear like your logo, ads, brand colours, jingles, etc. It is also highly impacted by your reputation and how you make people think and feel.
11. It's important to build a personal brand because it's the only thing you're going to have. Your reputation online and in the new business world is pretty much the game, so you've got to be a good person. You can't hide anything, and more importantly, you've got to be out there at some level. - Gary Vaynerchuk
12. If I lost control of the business, I'd lose myself–or at least the ability to be myself. Owning myself is a way to be myself. - Oprah Winfrey
13. A brand is the set of expectations, memories, stories, and relationships that, taken together, account for a consumer's decision to choose one product or service over another. – Seth Godin
14. To find yourself, think for yourself. – Socrates
15. Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. – Dr Suess
To me, creativity is the sauce that powers all aspects of marketing, so you know I had to share some of my favourite quotes.
16. Creativity is intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein
17. The creative adult is the child who survived. - Ursula LeGuin
18. Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking the rules, making mistakes, and having fun. - Mary Lou Cook
19. The worst enemy of creativity is self-doubt. - Sylvia Plath
20. There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life.
- Sophia Loren
To me, what is so exciting and vibrant about digital marketing is that you can plan your campaign or strategy, implement it, track it, see what is succeeding or failing, and make instant adjustments. Here are a few quotes that back why this is so important.
21. Take a risk and keep testing because what works today won't work tomorrow, but what worked yesterday may work again. - Amrita Sahasrabudhe
22. Innovation needs to be part of your culture. Consumers are transforming faster than we are, and if we don't catch up, we're in trouble. - Ian Schafer
23. Focus on your business solves' core problem and put out lots of content and enthusiasm, and ideas about how to solve that problem. - Laura Fitton
24. In digital marketing, determining what you "should do" vs what you "could do" is the key to moving from thinking mode to action mode. - Gino Giovannelli
25. Don't say anything online that you wouldn't want plastered on a billboard with your face on it. – Erin Bury
Social Media Marketing
Social media is undeniably a crucial component in marketing efforts. A company's social media pages can sometimes even rank higher in searches than its website and social pages, and profiles are known to improve SEO and ranking.
26. Importantly, companies are using social media to do things that go way beyond just chatting up existing customers on Facebook. Sales departments use social to nurture leads and close sales. HR posts job openings and vets applicants. Community and support squads mine networks, blogs, and forums with deep listening tools. - Ryan Holmes
27. Engage, Enlighten, Encourage, and especially… just be yourself! Social media is a community effort, everyone is an asset. - Susan Cooper
28. Word-of-mouth marketing isn't about giving customers talking points as if they were brand spokespeople. It's about delivering an exceptional customer experience that makes customers want to recommend you. – Deborah Eastman
29. Social media will help you build up your current customers' loyalty to the point that they will willingly, and for free, tell others about you. – Bonnie Sainsbury
30. There's a problem with the word 'social'. Social is not just Twitter, FB, etc. Social is a language. – Andrew Grill
Reporting and analytics
I love the most about digital marketing because many of the strategies, activities, and tactics we employ can be tracked, traced, reworked, and optimized to give the best results. For example, for every piece of content created and distributed via your website and other channels, you can track sources of traffic, interactions, session lengths, bounce rates, etc. Then, based on that information, make updates.
31. Measurement is like laundry. It piles up the longer you wait to do it. - Amber Naslund
32. The modern marketer is an experimenter, a lover of data, a content creator, a justifier of ROI. – Kim Walsh
33. We must move from numbers keeping score to numbers that drive better actions. – David Walmsley
34. Data is the new currency, and it's the medium of exchange between consumers and marketers. Lisa Utzschneider
35. If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it. - Lord Kelvin
I hope you found these quotes as inspiring and motivating as I did, especially during these uncertain times, where we have to rethink how we do things. As I mentioned above, please do share any of your favourite quotes in the comments below. After all, sharing is caring :)
Thanks for reading!